Monday, March 14, 2011

DESIGN a disappearing art


Cd covers are such a fantastic opportunity for artists and designers to really sink their teeth into the creative process. There's something fantastic about designing based on another sense, like sound or taste. The fact the cover should say SOMETHING about the music offers both a challenge and an opportunity to really feel the subject matter.

But it seems the CD is a dying breed. With the advent of the digital era where everything is downloadable, where does that leave the case? I still enjoy buying cds (often from Starbucks) because I like having something to hold
in my hand. I like opening the cases (especially the cardboard ones with leaflets and lots of folds,) but that being said, once I get it home, I upload it to my various technology devices and the case gets shelved. Still, there's something great about that experience when you first open it.

True, even when you have your music in a digital library, most devices and programs want to give the listener some kind of visual so there is still a market for a design, but that's it. No typographically composed playlist, no cd label, no leaflet to pull from the envelope like a little treasure, no photos, no textured papers. It's too bad but a reality.
All that being said, with the uprise of the digital era has come other opportunities for design in the music world; websites, apps, ummm...

I guess that means as designers and artists we need to figure out ways to give that "added benefit" factor. Give the audience the something extra. I don't know what that is, whether its working with programers to give more control to individual cds in how they're presented within a library (going beyond just the album cover), or when you buy a cd you get a fantastic something in the mail (poster, collectable postcard, notecard...) I don't know, but I suppose when one door closes another opens with a creative opportunity waiting to be discovered.

Ruth Moody's Solo Album The Garden. Beautiful music and beautiful album design.
















No comments:

Post a Comment