Thursday, March 31, 2011

DESIGN confidence


I just ordered Creative, Inc authored by Oh Joy!'s Joy D. Cho and Meg M. Ilasco (author of Craft, Inc.) and am antsy for it to come in the mail. Just recently, my freelance business has surged with a couple of jobs that offsprouted into several more and because I haven't experienced this level of interest before, am not about to turn any down incase the well dries up again.

I am learning some very important lessons in the process in terms of client relations, how to stand up for myself, when to keep my mouth shut, what battles are worth fighting and when do my design principles trump the payout... None of which I've really ironed out yet and constantly live in fear that I've screwed up somehow in how I conduct my "business." It's very weird to think of myself as running a business which just reinforces how badly I need to know more about the ins and outs of being a freelance designer.
I have resisted taking on "real" jobs because of my inexperience with business. I don't know legal mumbo jumbo and don't know how to make it work to my advantage (tax deductions, km for my car etc.) I just know that people know how to work the system and I am so naive that undoubtably I'll end getting taken advantage of.

The one thing I've taken away in the last 6 months is confidence is the key. Stand behind your worth, believe in your skills, stand tall and exude a professionalism that doesn't allow clients to undercut you. Confidence is something I struggle with a lot but have held my chin up and had the attitude if I can see myself as a strong, wicked professional, who can question it? Its a tough balance between having confidence and coming across egotistical. You need trust and not resentment.

Needing to not take things personally is second. Something I've had to employ a LOT during one of my latest projects where I was hired for my skills but have been widdled down to something a kin to a trained monkey. A tough lesson but gained respect from those on the team who know what's involved with doing the dance and delivering a product that meets objectives but keeps the masses happy. The balance of design principles vs. giving them what they want.
Anyway, I'm hoping this book, written by 2 sage women in the industry, will help clear up some of those tougher lessons and warn of impending scenarios that every freelancer is sure to encounter.

Below is the ladies uber-creative promo video for the book. So cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment